The American Red Cross offers some great advice for those of us planning to hit the road this Thanksgiving holiday. You and your fellow drivers will be stressed and tired, and the NHTSA warns that this can be just as bad as driving drunk. We here at Buckeye Complete Auto Repair believe in preparedness, and you can be prepared this Thanksgiving for anything that might come your way. Here is some advice from the American Red Cross.
Road Travel Preparedness
Traveling by car is the preferred method of travel for many, especially right now with air travel so limited. The American Red Cross suggests you do the following before your road trip to make sure you are safe all the way to and from your destination:
- Only drive a car that is in good condition (we can help with that)
- Keep an emergency kit filled with supplies in the trunk of your car
- Give a copy of your itinerary to a trusted family member or friend
- Stay on top of the weather predictions along your routes
- Reroute your travel around any bad weather if possible
- Get plenty of rest before you leave and remain alert
- Fasten seatbelts and drive slowly and defensively
- Do not drink and drive or drive under any other impairment
- Obey all traffic laws and road rules and watch for work zones
- Do not allow yourself to be distracted by anything
- Keep your attention on the road and nothing else
- Stop frequently to stretch and rest and rotate drivers
- Pull to a safe spot if you end up with car trouble
In addition to the above, should you get stranded in freezing temperatures, do not attempt to walk for help. Stay with your car and tie something bright to the antenna to draw attention to you. Keep the tailpipe clear and huddle under blankets. Run the car for 10 minutes each hour with a window cracked.
Additional Safety Tips
Make sure to keep your gas tank full as you travel along. Stop and refill the tank once you’ve used up about a half-a-tank of gas. Pack some protein bars, nuts, granola, or other protein-filled foods that won’t perish and bottled water so you stay hydrated. Have a first aid kit and flashlight on hand, too.
You can also rely on Buckeye Complete Auto Repair in Columbus, OH, to inspect your vehicle before your trip to make sure you don’t break down. Call us to set up an appointment.